Mercury Bulb

I didn't notice that half of the light bulbs in my bathroom were burnt out until I noticed in other mirrors that the shave on one side of my face was very uneven. I like energy-saving bulbs, but they all go at the same time. They use a fraction of the energy and last at least 10 times longer than normal bulbs, but they contain mercury, almost enough to cover the tip of a ballpoint pen. And since mercury is hazardous, you have to recycle them in a special way. How? I thought it would take ages to find a place to send them and I'd have to order special shipping containers. Turns out most Home Depots and Lowe's hardware stores will take them in for you. It feels good to save a bit of the world, and I figure I owe the world one since I spilled mercury all over the place when I broke a thermometer last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment